Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Wright-Phillips "is a top player"


Pablo Zabaleta claims that Man City team-mate Shaun Wright-Phillips is one of the best talents in the Premier League.

Zabaleta has usually taken on a defensive midfield role with the Sky Blues, filling in at right-back occasionally. There, the Argentine midfielder teams up with Wright-Phillips, and it is the winger's workrate that Zabaleta feels is what distinguishes his City team-mate from other players.

"I enjoy playing with Shaun so much because he makes life easier for the full-back," Zabaleta said in an interview. "He is very quick, works all the time and helps me on the pitch which is important. The winger must help the full back or there will be problems."

"He is a top player and has helped me settle in well. I like to get forward too, and when I do, I know he will be covering for me. Hopefully we have developed a bit of an understanding even if we have both played in different positions at times."

Zabaleta has filled in at numerous positions throughout the season, something he admits to enjoy, especially when the position poses a challenge on his abilities.

"I am used to being moved around the team in Spain and Argentina. I can play wherever I need to - midfield is no problem and it adds to the experience of my first season here. Right-back is my natural position but I have no problem in midfield even if it means a different workload. I enjoy it," added the Argentinean right-back. "It is the first season for me in England and that is always the hardest at any club abroad. I hope to be even better next year when the number of games, the intensity of the games and their frequency, the training, and the opposition - and language - will not be new to me."

And 'Zaba' concluded on a very positive note, assuring City fans that he intended to be playing at Eastlands for many years to come, adding, "I want to be at City for a long time, and if international recognition comes with that, then perfect."

No comments:

Post a Comment