Thursday, April 2, 2009

Pires still targetting trophies


Robert Pires has set his sights on helping Villarreal win some silverware after penning a one-year contract extension.

The 35-year-old former France international and team-mate Javi Venta, 33, both signed 12-month extensions tying them to the Primera Liga outfit until June 30, 2010.

Pires, who joined Villarreal from Arsenal in 2006, was delighted with the agreement and admitted his aim now was to try to help the club end their long search for a first major honour.

"My big dream is to win a title with Villarreal," said Pires, who had won a host of medals prior to moving to Spain, including World Cup and European Championships success with France.

"This team has a lot of quality and I'm sure they can win something in the future."

Regarding his contract extension, the ex-Marseille winger added: "Everything was signed very quickly. I was never nervous and had a lot of confidence in the president (Fernando Roig) and the coach (Manuel Pellegrini).

"We came to an agreement and personally I'm very happy because it's what I wanted and Villarreal have given me a great opportunity to continue here.

"This is great for me because I'm already 35 and there are very few players who can have an opportunity like this.

"I feel fine physically. At the moment I've signed for another year and then we will see what happens."

No comments:

Post a Comment